St. Patricks Division 2 was founded by Mike Rice. Mike was born in Glenisland,County Mayo. He came to New York in 1923 where he was first employed by REA and later by the Metropolitan Insurance Co. In 1928 he married Beatrice O'Neill, a Mayo lady. They had 2 children, Patricia & John. Mike was a member of Division 6, Astoria Queens for 10 years and served as their President as well. After moving to Deer Park, he founded Division 2 in 1946.
At the first meeting,held at St. Joseph's Hall, Babylon, 24 new members were initiated. Mike Rice was elected President for the remaining months and served again in 1947& 1948. Meetings were held at Our Lady Of Miraculous Medal, Wyandanch, from January 1947 through March 1949. S.S. Cyril & Methodius Hall was the meeting place from April through December 1949 followed by Jan 1950 back at Our Lady Of Miraculous Medal. In February 1950 they returned to Babylon, first meeting in the American Legion Hall,then the Babylon Hotel and in 1957 at the new Knights Of Columbus Hall on Park Ave.
During these years the Division continued to grow and prosper. In 1970, one of their visionary dreams was realized when they purchased and moved to the Hibernian Hall at 27 Locust Avenue.No time was lost since then,and much rewarding work has been expended. First rehabilitating the building, purchasing adjoining land for expansion, and finally in extending the little hall to provide the beautiful Hibernian Cultural Center we enjoy today. This work was finally completed in 1986.
The History Of St. Patricks Division 2 Babylon NY